Optimizely Opal was one of the highlights announced at Opticon 2023. Here's what you need to know about the new AI initiative for the Optimizely product family.
Optimizely Opal - AI Integration in the Optimizely Product Family
AI is on everyone's lips these days, and Optimizely early on highlighted that they have AI elements in several of their products.
So far, AI integration has been limited to individual products, and each product has used AI in different ways. For example:
- Analyzing customer behavior and generating product recommendations in Product Recommendations.
- Analyzing and automatically tagging/describing images in CMP/DAM.
- Analyzing visitor behavior in Content Recommendations, providing editors with recommendations on the type of content they should write more/less about.
- An AI-based plugin for CMS makes web editing more efficient.
- Analyzing purchasing patterns in Optimizely Data Platform, suggesting products that need more/less marketing and identifies which customers are at different stages of the loyalty curve.
At Opticon, Optimizely took a step further and announced Optimizely Opal, which will become the new AI assistant concept integrated into the product family.
It's probably more accurate to say that Opal will be a collective term for the different types of AI integrated into the products, but the AI elements will have a unified design and interface, so that for the user, it feels like the same AI assistant is used everywhere.
That's where the concrete information ends, because it's currently not clear exactly how this assistant will be implemented. Screenshots and press releases give the impression that Opal will be a kind of always-available assistant that you can ask for suggestions, improvements, and insights while planning/writing content. It is uncertain whether Opal will be available in all Optimizely products or only in, for example, CMS/CMP.